1. Home
  2. Docs
  3. Housing Options Factsheet
  4. Options for disabled youg people aged over 18

Options for disabled youg people aged over 18

Independent living

If the disabled person can live totally independently without support from external agencies then consider the following options:-

  • Home ownership – You can become a home owner by getting a mortgage, inheriting a property or joint ownership (parents combining resources to purchase a property for their children)
  • Shared home ownership – The ownership of a property is shared between the person with a disability and the housing provider. Shared ownership allows you to buy a share of the property and pay rent on the rest to your housing provider
  • Renting private property -You would pay rent on a property to a private landlord or letting agent
  • Local housing authorities or associations – Contact your local housing department for further information

Semi-independent living

If the disabled person needs support from agencies at certain times of day e.g. getting bathed, or cooking meals, then consider:-

  • Home ownership, shared ownership, private or council rental all with support
  • Cluster housing – small blocks of self-contained flats with a manager, warden or support worker on-site or providing 24 hour support
  • Supported living – a flexible type of support that helps a person with a disability to live in their own home, rented or shared property rather than in residential services. A carer may visit or live in to provide support as needed
  • Community Support Networks – a property close to similar houses and flats occupied by people with disabilities. A worker provides support such as information, advice and a sympathetic ear

If you have high support needs

Some people require specialist 24-hour support for a variety of reasons and this would be assessed by social care.

Living with others

  • Adult placements – If a person with a disability prefers to live with a family (in a similar way to a foster home), social services may be able to arrange a placement within a family
  • Supported lodgings – Living in someone else’s home as a lodger but with extra support at home with things like personal care
  • Homeshare -The house or flat would be shared with a second person who has different needs where both people have something to offer
  • Group homes and shared housing – homes are shared by three or four people. Residents can do their own shopping and cooking, supported by staff through the day or when needed