1. Home
  2. Docs
  3. Housing Options Factsheet
  4. Adapting your home to meet your needs

Adapting your home to meet your needs

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) are local council grants to help disabled people to live independently in their own homes.

It will not affect any benefits you receive and helps towards the cost of adapting your home, so you can continue to live there. Disabled children under 18 can also get a grant without their parents income being taken into account.

An assessment will be carried out and the work must be considered necessary and appropriate, and that the work is reasonable and practical e.g. widen doors and install ramps, improve access to rooms and facilities – e.g. stair lift or a downstairs bathroom.

Each local authority has guidance on their policy which should be available on their website, or ring and ask for a leaflet.  Contact your local council for more information.