1. Home
  2. Docs
  3. Education Information Booklet
  4. Educational Professionals

Educational Professionals


Every educational setting has to have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO). Their role is to:

  • Be responsible for co-ordinating the additional help your child receives
  • Help to set targets for your child’s plan
  • Monitor the progress of each child with special educational needs
  • Liaise with and refer to other professionals for support

Early Education Additional Support Team (EEAST)

They are a small team of specialist teachers and nursery nurses who work with pre-school children who have special educational needs. The team:

  • Visit children in their own homes to provide teaching advice and support
  • Plan a range of opportunities to develop each child’s play and learning
  • Give specialist support and advice to help parents make informed choices about the education of their children
  • Provide support to help children access and make progress in their local Early Years Setting

Tel: 0191 277 4625

Any professional working with the family can refer to this service and parents can self refer.

Special Educational Needs Teaching and Support Service (SENTASS)

This is a team of local authority specialist teachers and support staff who assess and work with children and young people who have a range of special educational needs. They accept referrals from schools and health colleagues.  Their role is to :

  • Work in partnership with parents and professionals to provide a co-ordinated programme of intervention
  • Work with children at school who have dyslexia, dyspraxia, specific learning disabilities, visual and hearing impairments and communication difficulties
  • Offer support to children with a wide range of Special Educational Needs from pre-school up to school leaving age

Tel: 0191 277 4608

Speech and Language Therapist (SALT)

  • Encourages the development of social and language skills of children
  • Gives advice on the use of alternative methods of communication including symbols and Makaton
  • Can assist with oral motor problems and offer advice on swallowing and chewing difficulties

Tel: 0191 282 3085

Occupational Therapist

  • Advises parents and schools about aids and adaptations at home and school
  • Runs programmes to assist with fine and gross motor skills
  • Gives advice about mobility and co-ordination skills

Referrals to this service are made by schools or health care professionals.


Works to support the child and their family to reach their greatest physical potential. This includes giving support and advice to school.

Referrals to this service can be made by health care professionals.