1. Home
  2. Docs
  3. Education Information Booklet
  4. Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

Most children’s needs can be met by their school. A small number of children or young people will need an EHCP if they need more support than is normally available in mainstream education. The plan is drawn up by the Local Authority after a formal assessment process called an EHC Needs Assessment of a child’s educational needs based on specialist advice. An EHCP Co-ordinator will be responsible for gathering all the reports and information for the assessment. It is a legal document which describes:

  • A child or young person’s special educational, health and social care needs
  • The help that will be given to meet those needs
  • What the young person will be able to achieve as a result of the support (outcomes)

Any child or young person who currently has a Statement of Special Educational Needs will be transferred to an EHCP by 2018. Contact Independent Support at Skills for People to get help with the EHCP Process and the Annual Review.