Autism Information Booklet
- Useful Tips
- Be consistent in your approach to inappropriate behaviour.
- Routines are important to reduce anxiety.
- Use simple language, speak clearly and precisely.
- Use visual prompts to accompany speech e.g. pictures or signs.
- Be aware of external stimuli as many children are hypersensitive to sound, smells and touch.
- Be specific – don’t say “It’s raining cats and dogs” when it isn’t!
- Be positive not negative. Tell your child exactly what you want them to do, not what you don’t want them to do.